Every year a few of us crazies in Minneapolis donate our time to the Minnesota Film & TV Board to benefit Toys for Tots. THEY & I have been delighted to be a part of if for three years now.
Year one was "Treebacca". Year two was "R2 The Snow Droid".
This year we thought we'd ask our friends & fans what they'd like to see and we put it up to a poll on our Facebook page. Everyone added their own idea so we ended up with a lot of options that all had 1 vote. Ultimately I went with my gut, which was very guided by Joey Hall & the event master from the film board himself, Chris Grap. Princess Leia needed some help with her Rebel Wreath and this is a quick tour of the creation process.
First, I needed some reference and inspiration. Originally I thought I'd do the poster in complete profile.
But it just wasn't happening. After a whole lot of archeology I found a torn up vintage oversize Star Wars comic book & this excellent image.
And that was it. First I thought I'd try it without the hood so we could see the classic buns.
It was already getting fun but the poster didn't have any visual weight to it yet. I revisited the hood but wasn't sure how to handle it. I found Nefer-Ra's Deviant Art page, blatently stole the hood and decided to try it on. I also hunted down a wreath which you'll see is actually a series of cupcakes. It worked because it wasn't so photographic that it was a halftone mess and it wasn't so patterned that it looked like flat clip art.
Now I started to think about color. In previous years I strayed away from traditional Christmas colors but this year I decided to embrace it. I knew I wanted to print on French Paper as I nearly always do and so I went searching for paper colors and decided on something really wild. White. 100lb Pop-Tone "Sweet Tooth" to be exact. Once I added this flood of red, and dropped in the classic Star Wars logo I started getting excited enough to show Chris a sneak preview.
Ultimately that logo didn't work, but it sent me down the right path - vintage Star Wars book cover. The border ties it all together and brings back memories.
Now it was time to start getting into the details. I didn't like how the ribbon came out and hadn't added the second wreath yet
Here's the final, which I can't wait to print!
I added a slight distressed texture to the red so that when printing it's not too heavy, causing the paper to curl. Learned that from the Dawning poster.
- Clinton Lugert of THEY design